Thursday, July 23, 2009

Boobs suck!!

I cannot believe that Nathan is going to be 6 weeks old already on Sunday! It has absolutely FLOWN by! We are doing well overall...life is nuts with 4 kids...it seems to have affected everything! If you are reading this and trying to decide how far apart to space your kids, and I know some with disagree with me, but I would HIGHLY recommend more than 2 years, like much closer to 3 years! That has been the hardest part for me...dealing with Emily. Kelli was 3 years and 3 months when Emily was born and that seemed like such a smooth transition. Now perhaps the fact that we have no kitchen and are doing dishes in the bathtub and make weekly trips to the laundromat and have to really think ahead with meal preparation may be having some affect on things too! =) Nathan is sleeping really good at night (someone knock on some wood for me) but has been super fussy during the day. He has some issues with reflux so that is probably part of the reason...he is uncomfortable. I can get him calmed down and he will snuggle with me and sleep, but give him to anyone else or try to put him down and he wakes right up and screams. Now as a mom of 4, I have no problem letting him cry for a while, but if I let it go too long, he spits up like crazy from all the air he sucked in while crying...so I feel bad letting him cry too long. I have blogged before about the problems I have had with breastfeeding the other kids, so I wont bore you all with all the details, but we are having the same issues again with Nathan. It is extremely frustrating for me and a huge psychological battle but I decided that I just cannot be a good mom and wife and continue to do all that is necessary to increase or even keep my milk supply where it is...it literally consumes all my thoughts and a huge majority of my time. So this week I have been weaning him...which is another frustrating part...I have enough milk that it is uncomfortable to wean, but not enough to sustain him. But I already feel a sense of relief emotionally and know that he will be just fine. And actually today he has been much happier and is right now sleeping in the swing, something he has hardly done since just a few days of age. I certainly dont want to look back on these newborn days and only think of the stresses I endured because of breastfeeding, but want to remember every little first of his and also have the other kids and Brian look back fondly on these weeks as well, instead of mom always crying and talking about her boobs! =) Okay..enough about this and on to pictures of the cutie! He has some great stretches of alertness and he is just adorable as he looks around and checks out his surroundings. He has even started to do some smiling and cooing! I still think he looks nothing like the other kids, but sometime when I have some time (haha) I will compare some pictures at the same ages. And just a quick kitchen update...all cabinets are in, countertops come next Thursday and gas pipe for the stove and dryer are done. So just waiting on the electircal to be finished out and then we can get back to normal around here!! WhooHoo!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was after a super fussy stretch. I sat in the chair holding and rocking him for a few hours getting more and more frustrated by the minute that every room I could see from where I sat was an absolute disaster. So I laid him down and let him cry it out and cleaned. I decided that I would even vacuum and as I did he was totally quiet and then drifted off to sleep. So I left the vacuum running by his chair and got even more accomplished! =)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

7 comments:

miriam said...

I love the vacuum thing. .and the 2 pics withthe pacifier are the ones that seem to resemlbe Kelly a bit.

Anonymous said...

Too funny about the vacuum! I think Gardy's mom would do that or maybe it was the dryer noise that settled them down!!
I don't blame you one bit, honey for weaning, you have to do what is right for you and your family!
Love you~
Mom

The Lawver's said...

So PRECIOUS! Cant wait to meet him. :)

the back door said...

chloe was bottle fed and at first i was a wreck about it - but it actually was a huge blessing for us!! it will be wonderful - look at this way - a bunch of people can feed him and you can get away!!!!

Nikki said...

wow..ok I am really nervous to give birth after reading that!!! But in all honesty I think that the spacing thing is so true and I am hopeful that the 4 almost 5 years will make "run two" with babies a lot easier. I also am glad that you decided to wean nathan as it can be such a stress to be boob comsumed.... watch, he will be the genius in the family and shatter all wives tales!

love you and am so proud of you for being a SUPERMOM of 4 beautiful kiddos....with no kitchen or laundry! Honestly..amazing!

Anonymous said...

He is such a little cutie!! I can't wait to meet him and see you with the rest of the family. Hope his crying gets better! You are an incredible woman!

JKHoward8 said...

i love the vacuum story! my aunt had twin boys and one of them could only be soothed by the vacuum cleaner, so i think she vacuumed daily. and for my wedding...they got me a vacuum cleaner! everytime i vacuum i think of my aunt and cousin (who is now almost 30!)
i'm sure you are an amazing mom and breastfeeding or not, nathan will be a stud! congrats on number 4-give hugs to everyone!
jules:)