Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Break!!!

We are on spring break this week! Of course it had to start with Emily having a fever, so we were not able to do our planned activities, but we have been making the most of it! The last two days have been beautiful (a bit chilly yesterday, but dry and sunny)so we have spent a lot of time outdoors! YEAH!!!! I thought I would try to do a post a day during spring break...these challenges are good for me...makes me grab the camera when maybe I normally wouldn't...

A few from the last two days....

Kelli showing off her major talent with the hula hoop! (MOM, can you believe how good she has gotten!!??) I posted about her wanting to hula hoop for her talent show at AWANA, right?? I will have to go back and check!





It takes a lot for me to post this...but my kids get a huge kick out of it, so I guess I will share it...







I love the laid back pace of days when there is no school...no rush to get dressed, or eat breakfast, a little tv time in pj's is always enjoyable...and letting the little two sleep in a bit longer is nice too...You can see that Andrew is really focused on his job here, but we will call it multi-tasking!



We are fish sitting for my cousins that live in town while they are in Hawaii for spring break (a bit jealous am I). We also said we would go check on and feed their chickens this week. We decided to do that today since it is so beautiful! We got there and were greeted by a rooster seemed a bit ornery and who was out of the coop! I was a bit scared...can't roosters be aggressive?? We just kinda sat in the car for a bit assessing the situation. Then all of the sudden, Andrew jumped out and marched right up to it and had a little stare down with it. It started to come towards him and he came running back to the car for safety (so I thought). He jumped in, grabbed my long handled ice scraper and jumped right back out and used it to try (unsuccessfully) to get it back to the coop. I decided that if my 8 year old would be brave enough to face the rooster, I should at least go help him. So the rest of us got out of the car...I put Nathan in the backpack and had Kelli stay close to Emily. We found long sticks and Kelli, Andrew and I all tried to corral the thing and coax (unsuccessfully) him back to the coop. Emily freaked the moment the thing came towards her (as did I) and so I had Kelli take her back to the van. I was bit on the ear by a crazy goose as a kid, and I still am terrified of geese. Thankfully I don't have many encounters these days =), But I did not want Emily or Kelli to have similar fears of roosters/chickens. Andrew and I tried again and again with no success. Then I heard a car coming down the driveway...My first thought was, oh great, who is going to be seeing this crazy mom (child on back) waving sticks and ice scrappers at this rooster...luckily it was my knight in shining armor, Brian was off work early and knew we were going to check on the chickens before lunch time so he came to see what we were doing! Of course with two adults on the scene (one of which has no childhood memories of attacks by feathered creatures) we got him back in the coop! To bad I don't have a video of all this!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laughed so hard watching you hoola hoop - I have a hilarious page in one of my photo albums of me trying it at Madeleine and Glenn's house....Man, Kelli is becoming a pro at it!! What a difference from the talent night that I attended!! Tell her I am so proud!
Love you~
Mom

Anonymous said...

I don't think I read this part about the rooster the first time - oh my that was a funny story! I wish I could have been there to see it as it happened!!
Love you~
Mom

Anonymous said...

love the hula hooping! Such a cool mom!