Friday, April 18, 2008
I Feel The Earth Move...
Night before last Brian had a really fitful night of sleep. He kept waking me up and I would ask him if he was okay and he would say yes and go right back to sleep. This happened several times that night and he only remembers it happening one time because I scared him half to death when I asked him if he was okay. So early this morning when I awoke to the whole bed shaking I assumed it was him again and rolled over to see what in the world he was doing and when I rolled over he sat straight up and started looking over the edge of the bed. The bed was still shaking and our bed if you haven't seen it is made of enormous logs and is practically unmovable. I kept asking him why is the bed shaking, WHY is the bed shaking, WHY IS THE BED SHAKING!? He said he didn't know and got up and went to the bathroom. He got back in bed and I sort of drifted in and out of sleep for the next half hour or so my mind thinking of numerous explanations of what could have happened. And obviously I was more asleep than awake, because I had convinced my self that there was a person under the bed and then thought, perhaps it is even a cougar =) (remember, I am more asleep than awake and police did just kill one around Chicago this past week and we talked about it right before we went to bed). Well when Brian's alarm went off, I made him check under the bed before he went to the shower. He said, "what do you think there is under there? A person?" and I answered, "Or maybe a cougar, just check it would ya?" =) Of course neither was under the bed, and he left for the bathroom with some wisecrack about maybe it was an earthquake...Yeah whatever, I thought. So I roll over, relaxed now that I know there is neither a cougar or a person under the bed, hoping to get another hour of sleep before the kids get up. Then I hear Brian running from the bathroom down the hallway towards our room. SO now I am thinking there was someone (or maybe a cougar =)!)in the bathroom and he is running to our room to get the phone to call 911! I have quite the imagination if you haven't figured that out yet! He was in fact coming to the room to turn on the radio so I could hear..."the epicenter was West Salem, Illinois and the quake measured 5.4 on the Richter scale and was felt as far away as Ohio. Initial reports indicate that this is the largest earthquake who's epicenter was in Illinois as long as records have been kept." I was totally dumbstruck!! The thought that an earthquake was causing our bed to shake never even entered my mind as a possibility...not even after Brian joked about it! It was so fun to watch the news this morning and tell the kids about it and listen to all the stories of those who felt it, and many people had similar thoughts as me....well they didn't take it as far as the cougar, but many did think that someone was in their room! So I am only partially insane! But was that ever in question?? So did you feel it?? I would love to hear your story if you did! Either email me or leave a comment. I heard a great story about a 60 year old woman who felt it and I will tell that later, because it is too funny to not pass along!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kori- I felt it too and thought Marshall was shaking the bed with some kind of funky stretching! I too, was half asleep and it never occurred to me it was an earthquake in Illinois! When our bathroom door that was closed started rattling fiercly, I thought to myself, "that's odd that the door is shaking and it isn't windy outside". It was very odd...I totally didn't put it all together until I heard the news the next day either. How strange to have experienced our first earthquake! I hope there's never another one though and I'm glad the kids were all sound asleep.
p.s.your song choices are some of my favorites!
Also, when did you decide to launch a photography business? Looks great from what I can tell! Photography is also a passion of mine. I love taking photos, especially of our precious little ones faces...take lots before they grow up!
Jodi
Post a Comment