We are all finally feeling better! Praise the Lord! It was a long week. Andrew didn't have school this last Thursday and Friday, so we really enjoyed just hanging around the house and relaxing! Friday morning as I was putting away laundry I could hear that there was a bird in my bedroom wall. Unfortunately one of the "blessings" of having a century old home is that animals find their way in. We have bats, squirrels and birds that get into our attic. If my memory serves me correctly, it is only the bats that make their way into the house. We also have balloon framing which means that once the animal gets in the wall, it can go from attic to basement. So I made a mental note that there was a bird in the wall so I could tell Brian when he got home from work. Well the older two kids were both having some computer time in the office while Emily was napping, and I kept hearing something in the hallway by the office. I excused it as one of the kids. After I kept hearing it, it started to annoy me so I went to see what in the world they were doing. Well it was that stupid bird. It had made its way down into the basement and into an open piece of duct work that heats part of the basement, into the furnace, into another piece of duct work and was attempting to get out at a register that is in the hallway! And wouldn't it just figure that it is the one register/vent that is not attached it is just resting there against the wall. So I slammed my hand against the register and had Andrew grab a couple of heavy books so we could secure it and keep the frantic bird from entering the house. The kids figured that it would eventually come out of the duct work, back into the basement and that we should be there to shoo it outside when it did. I told them I would finish the project I was working on and then we would head down to the basement to try to flush it out. A few minutes later this is how they came to me..."Mom, were all ready! Can we go down now??"

We did find where the bird was in the duct, but it was not finding its way back out. But we haven't heard anything in a while, so it is either in the basement or back in the attic, or dead in the furnace. I guess it will start smelling like roasted chickadee when the heat kicks on if it's in the furnace?? =)
No comments:
Post a Comment