Disclaimer....Remember I am a nurse, so when I say details, I mean details. But, seeing as we are talking about an unexpected pregnancy, I do feel the need to clarify that it will be medical details that I share, not baby making details!! I believe all you who read this don't need those anyway! Although Brian and I have been asked numerous times lately if we know how it happens!! =)
Brian and I had talked about having a 4th, and were still undecided. Both undecided about different things though...
Brian was undecided "if" he wanted another baby and I was undecided as to "when" we would have another baby.
I didn't have the overwhelming sense that I was done, but also wasn't ready to add another one any time soon. My ideal time line was to wait until Kelli was well settled in full day school (starts fall of 2009), get Emily potty trained (I wont even think about starting that until they are at least 2) and have Emily in a big girl bed and then I would be ready. Oh, and surely by then I would have lost that last 20 pounds that just wont budge and be at my long time goal weight!
Really, we didn't even think pregnancy was an option at the present time. Since Emily had finished nursing (much sooner than I had hoped) I had been having lots of mid cycle bleeding. Sometimes even only stopping for one week before starting up again. (remember I warned you, there would be details!) I had been using the birth control pill for nearly 10 years and I just didn't want to start back on it. With all the lifestyle changes I had made and with the weight I had lost, I really liked how I felt and didn't want to mess it up with synthetic hormones. I tried regulating this myself with some natural remedies, all that failed to have any impact at all. After
6 months I finally went to see the doctor. I expressed my desire to try to treat it naturally and he was agreeable. He did say that from what I was describing it sounded like I may have polyps on or in my uterus. We decided that I would do one month of prescription concentration of natural progesterone (I had been using a much lesser dose of this previously) and then do a hystoscopy (fiber optic camera that checks out the uterus), see what that showed and then make decisions from there.
Being on the stronger progesterone did the trick. No bleeding at all that cycle. So in a perfect world I would have started my cycle on the Friday before the procedure, but the night before still had not. Now, I have to tell you, pregnancy NEVER entered my mind. I completely attributed it to the progesterone doing too good of a job and that it was just going to be a little late as those hormones wore off.
About 8pm the night before the procedure I got all my pre-op meds I was supposed to take and one of those was cytotec. This is a medication that is used in labor and delivery on occasion to induce labor. I didn't think much about taking it, but read all the warnings labels on the side of the bottle and it said pregnant women should not even handle this medication. Now if you know how my mind works, I over think things alot! I decided to prevent that from happening by calling the doctor and just having him tell me what to do. He said it was very unlikely with my past 6 month history but that if there was any doubt I should just do a pregnancy test before taking the medication and since my period was late there was doubt. So I told Brian and since he knows me SO well didn't argue one bit with me going to get the test. He knew that if I didn't do the test (even though we both knew it would be negative), that I would be up all night worrying that I just taken medication that could be detrimental to a pregnancy. I made a quick trip to Walgreens and came home, did the test, put it on the counter, and set the timer (I was afraid I would forget about it since this was totally just to ease my mind so I could take the pre-op meds).
Timer goes off.
I walk to the bathroom.
I pick up the test...
"Oh, Lord Help Me! It's POSITIVE!!"
I went to the living room, test in hand, tears flowing freely, and handed the test to Brian.
He then said just what I needed to to hear break me out of my momentary breakdown...
"So when can I schedule my vasectomy??"
Don't get me wrong, I was not breaking down because I was pregnant, it was because all my perfect plans just went straight out the window!
Brian was amazing. He talked me through all my worries about having a baby now and how really it was an even better situation! (Funny how he had to convince me of that, even when I know that everything happens in Gods PERFECT timing!)
So here we are, 12 weeks pregnant today. And working through the details that will make the arrival of baby 4 a pleasant one!
We have no room for the wee one, so Brian's winter project is finishing off our attic that will be the worlds most awesome room for Andrew. He is so excited about that! He said to me the other day (before he knew about the baby and his new room that would come along with that)..."Mom, I wish my room was like Seth's." (Seth is a boy from church who has 3 younger sisters and no brothers) I asked him what was special about Seth's room and he said, "It doesn't have any sisters in it!"
Emily will be 22 months, not potty trained, not out of a crib, and instead of having Andrew and Kelli occupied in full day school, this little peanut will arrive about a week after Andrew is done with school so all 4 will be home!!! I do have moments of sheer terror, usually when I find myself feeling out of control of the three I have! Then I remember I have such a strong support system around me. My God (really the only support I need!), a wonderful loving husband, involved, supportive and not too far away family, and not to diminish any of the previously mentioned supports...the most amazing group of girlfriends who I really don't know how I could do life without! So then I just put on my big girl panties and deal with it!! =)
We are SO blessed and I just want to emphasize how excited we are for this baby. Even though it was a shocker, we treasure the miracle of each life God has entrusted to us and do not take it for granted for one second! I complained a lot with my pregnancy with Andrew. Then when he was born, as excited as I was that he was in my arms, I missed being pregnant and wished I had enjoyed it more and complained about it less. So with the last two I really tried to just relish every moment. (I didn't do as well with Emily...gained 54 pounds and it was August!!)
Anyway, we are so thankful for all of the things the Lord has brought into our lives...good, painful, expected and unexpected!
And don't have any doubt that you will be kept up to date on the goings on of the next 6 months!! Then I may never be able to blog again! =)
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
So very very precious Kori.CONGRATULATIONS. God knows doesn't he??? Thank you for sharing your heart and those very personal thoughts and fears near and dear to your heart. Many of us have been there. I remember in my "perfect" world, we had a boy (Justin) and a girl (Allison), life was good............then I got pregnant...very unexpectantly. WALA, Alexander. What a precious precious gift he is. I cannot imagine life without him, as you will never be able to imagine life without peanut #4. I cannot WAIT to meet her....him.....( I was SOO Sure with Danielle's..but was WRONG)ENjoy your new position in life and can't wait to hear if Andrew will have a new brother.................or another precious sister!!!!
Congratulations, Kori! Knowing what it is like to have more than one little one in a home, I would second your terror - however, I think you will do a fabulous job with four little ones (some people manage that so much better than others). Thrilled that you found out before taking the meds and thrilled that you have such a fantastic support group. May God watch over you and the baby during your pregnancy.
so many congrats!! i remember that very shocked feeling and thinking it surely doesn't say positive!!!! but it sure did!!
you will do great - you always wanted lots of kids.....
Fun to relive "the story"! Can't wait to meet the newest Mauch!! You are a great Mom, Kori,and the Lord will give you the strength just when you need it! =) Many days I lived from nap time to bed time! =) But we get through it and there are oh so many rewards along the way and many even after the kids are all gone!!
Love you~
Mom
What a great story! Can't believe you are 12 weeks!!
Marie
i want to know how you told your family this time..you are always so creative and i'm assuming you spilled hte beans at thanksgiving:)
Hey Kor...
I can't tell you how proud of you and Brian I am! You could choose to let this "unexpected event" turn into a negative and fearful thing, but you both have chosen to rest in God's perfect timing and to rejoice in what God has done! I am so excited for your whole family!!!!
Love you,
Dad
I love the story! : ) Congratulations! : )
WOW! i am so very happy for you! the story is priceless- even brian's response! the land of 4 is great! you are a great mom and you will take this next one in stride! just think of all the grandkids we will have and there will be 4 options of kids to take care of us when we are old! think of how many people will be around our christmas trees in the years to come! awesome! love ya, girl! hope you are feeling well!!
where have you been???? i miss hearing stories about your family!!!
hey - i wanted to remind you that kelli needs a santa gift before christmas eve this year!
Post a Comment