

My baby started Kindergarten today!! Most of you know how emotional I am on any given day and that I was a basket case when we took Andrew to preschool last year. Well can you imagine what I would be like taking him to his first day of kindergarten 2 weeks postpartum???!!! Thank God for my wonderful husband who, without prompting from me, went to work late so he could go with us. He knows me all too well!! Praise the Lord he was there, because not only did I have a break down, Andrew clung to Brian's legs like we were sending him into a pack of wolves!! His teacher, Mrs. Hooker (yes, that is right, Mrs. Hooker ~ Thank goodness its kindergarten!) had to pry him off of Brian! I had left the class room after hugging him goodbye and telling him how much fun he was going to have and how proud I was of him through heaving sobs. I quickly realized that I was not going to contribute anything positive to the situation if I stayed! A dear lady, I have no idea who she is, put her arm around me and said "Honey, tell me what I can do to help"! I just laughed through my tears and said...."I'm 2 weeks postpartum, and I just left my "baby" in Kindergarten"...."Bless your heart, he will be fine!" she said and gave my shoulder a squeeze! Well, when I went to pick him up 6 1/2 hours later, yes that is right, we have full day kindergarten (just doesn't seem right), he was all smiles!! I asked Mrs. Hooker how the rest of the day was and she said great! As soon as Brian left the classroom he was fine! Before we even got off the steps of the school, he unzipped his lunch box and showed me that he had a cookie...I asked him where he got the cookie and he said from Nicholas. Nicholas is a boy that was in his class in preschool and is also in his kindergarten class (along with 2 other kids from preschool!!). I said how nice that Nicholas shared with you! He said, we traded! Andrew gave him some of his spiderman cheeze nips and Nicholas gave him a cookie! It cracked me up that it is just instinctual for kids to trade lunch items!! Can't believe my baby is in kindergarten!!

Andrew also is thriving in big brother land! He is so sweet with Emily! I know I have mentioned this before, but I just think it is so precious, when he is holding her and she is crying, there is not an ounce of tension in Andrew. He just gently rocks her and talks softly to her and occasionally sings her a song....the other night he was holding her, she was very content, then after a while started to fuss. I went to get her from him and he insisted he wanted to keep her and that he was sure he could get her calmed down! So I let him give it a try and bless his little heart, he did! After about 20 minutes, she was fast asleep! At one point Kelli was laughing and I looked over to see Emily "latched on" to Andrews lips. He had bent down to kiss her and she latched right on! It blesses my heart to see him be so tender to her, even when she is so cranky! I guess it is good preparation for married life!! Here are some pictures of this sweet brother sister bond!



No comments:
Post a Comment