Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New chart is in effect....week 2!

As the arrival of Baby #4 approaches I have been thinking of ways to make life flow more fluidly in our home. I also have wanted to teach the older kids about responsibility and that there are some things they could be doing to help out the family. But I also wanted to do it in a way that is appealing to a 7 and 5 year old. And of course there is a selfish element...I don't want to do it all myself! =) As I was lying in bed a while back, trying to get my brood of pillows in to their perfect position for a good nights sleep, I had this idea....

Photobucket

First I made a list of all the chores they can do already and then thought of a few more that they can learn to do, and if not done perfectly will not drive me crazy, and then some bonus chores that were optional.

Then I took a picture to represent each of those chores and printed them out and laminated them after putting a brief explanation on the back of what the chore entailed. There are daily, must be completed chores (brushing teeth morning and night, make beds, room is picked up and vacuum ready). There are weekly chores that they swap each week (setting the table, clearing the table and wiping it down, vacuuming their room, vacuuming the living room, vacuuming the stairs, cleaning the bathrooms) and then the bonus chores (reading for 30 minutes, coloring a picture or writing a note for someone, memorizing a bible verse or doing an extra job for mom or dad).

The chart itself is just a piece of poster board, with mini clothes pins to hold the chore cards and two pockets, one to hold completed chore cards and one to hold their earnings...pennies. For each completed card they earn a penny at the end of the day.

The pennies are then used for tv and computer time. 5 pennies = 30 minutes.

So far this has worked WONDERFULLY!!! It has also been a great lesson as to what jobs we just do because it is a part of being a family. For example...turning a light off that someone else left on is not considered an extra job for mom or dad, but just a part of being a family...as is getting Emily in her seat, or getting a loaf of bread out of the freezer, or playing with Emily while mom makes lunch, etc...

I also like it because the chore cards can change as the kids get older!! Hoping it sticks!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea and very clever - it kind of reminds me of one I did I think with Danielle and Lauren!
Love you~
Mom

the back door said...

i love this idea....i've been trying to sort out what to do as we approach summer - but realizing i'd like to get started sooner than that....
i like the pennies idea too! what a brilliant plan:)

THE SULLINS said...

Very very creative and clever Kori. It gives them a great visual of what needs to be done!! JOB WELL DONE!!! YOU can help yourself to LOTS of pennies for creating this!!! :)

THE SULLINS said...

Monique..remember the one that i made for the kids in our homeschooling days....it had yellow lamentaed smiley faces and a few black unhappy faces (i think Justin usually ended up with all of those..LOL)