Thursday, April 16, 2009

Update...

Well I have not posted for a little while...wanted to make sure Brian's post was front and center for a while! If you haven' read it yet, scroll down and read it! I think I will encourage that he "guest" post more often! Bri is having surgery tomorrow (friday). We have to be at the hospital at 7am and they say we should be home sometime around 3pm. We would appreciate your prayers for the surgery, and for the recovery. I will be sure and keep this updated to let you know how he is doing!

I also wanted to give you an update on Emily. I don't think I have blogged much about it, but I know I have talked and emailed with many of you about her lovely ear drainage that has been going on for what seems like forever! Literally it has been draining for over a month. We tried several different treatments under the care of her pediatrician and when those didn't work he sent us to an ENT (Ear Nose and Throat doctor). He explained that what had started as a bacterial infection turned into a fungal infection and so we were just treating it wrong and he started a new treatment of puffing Boric Acid powder in to her ear last week. The acid causes her no pain (she doesn't like it being blown in) and he felt that it would clear up with a treatment or two. Well today we were supposed to see marked improvement and it instead was much worse. So he cultured each ear for bacteria and fungus, vacuumed out all of the gunk and put drops of Genetian Violet, an antifungal concoction, into her ear and now we wait for the cultures to come back. Today was alittle more tramatic for Emily (and for mom having to restrain her) but we are hoping that this does the trick! If not the next steps are sounding less and less "fun" for Emily so we would also appreciate your prayers for this treatment to work! The great thing about this Genetian Violet is that it is purple and will dye whatever it comes in contact with. So she has purple ears and it will also dye all of the drainage, so that will be purple (which is better than the nasty green it has been) but it will permenantly stain anything it comes in contact with!! So pray for my inlaws also who will be watching Emily tomorrow and Saturday as they try to keep coton balls in her ears and keep her from lying on furniture or carpet! =) Love you Keith and Nancy!! We will have to wait until next week to get the results of the cultures and then will reevaluate what comes next! Here are a few pics of our sweet purple eared girlie!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little purple thing!! We will be praying that this will do the trick! Praying for Brian too, that he does well in the surgery and will have a good speedy recovery and will take it easy!
Love you all~
Mom and Dad

Nikki said...

that is so weird... hope that you are done with all of the medical drama for awhile!! Love you and hope that you are getting rest too!

Sydney said...

Kori,

I only looked at the pictures before reading the blog and I thought the blog was going to be about ear piercing. I thought... they must of had a hard time deciding where to put the earrings. I thought it was because your daughter was moving around or something.
I hope her ears get better!

Toddles Reuber said...

Wouldn't you think in this day in age they would be able to make that medicine a different color rather than bright purple. Our neighbors got a kick out of the purpleness. I hope the ears are doing better.

PS, Logan's purple is now gone, but I think he misses it!