Friday, May 8, 2009

The Littlest Patient

Emily had her ear tubes placed this morning and did a great job! We had to be at the hospital at 545 this morning. They got her all ready and took her back to the OR at 710. The guy that came to get her was super nice and when he asked her if she was ready to go, she put her arms out to him and didn't hesitate a bit! I was so shocked at how good she did that I didn't even cry....for like a minute...and then of course I did a little bit...come on...I am a mom AND I am pregnant AND I haven't gotten hardly any sleep because of this stupid cold! She was in recovery by 730 and back in my arms at 746 (not that I was keeping track or anything!). She was very fussy when she came back. They had warned us about that and we remembered Andrew doing the same thing when he had his hernia surgery. They say that kids coming out of anesthesia just don't know what they are feeling and don't know what they need. After not quite a half hour she calmed down and then very quickly was getting back to her normal self. She had some yummy apple juice and teddy grahams and we headed for home shortly before 9! The doctor said there was thick glue-like fluid behind both eardrums and that it would not have cleared up with any other treatment than getting in there and getting it out. So he cleaned it out really good, sent the gunk to be cultured, and then put the tubes in. She will get antibiotic drops for 7 days and then we follow up with the ENT doc in 2 weeks and then every 6 months until the tubes fall out. They can stay in for up to 2 years. Thank you so much for all your prayers!


In the waiting room...
Photobucket

Daddy getting me dressed in my hospital gown...
Photobucket

Mommy time...
Photobucket

Back from the recovery room trying a drink of apple juice...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


All tuckered out...
Photobucket


Ready to go back home!!
Photobucket

Back at home feeling good enough to sit at the table and have a snack! A mouthfull of grapes...
Photobucket

2 comments:

miriam said...

Oh Yeah. so glad it all went well. Will be interesting to see what the culctures shows.. sounds Yucky!!

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart!! I can't believe she went right to the nurse that took her back to surgery!! She is such a sweetie!!
Love you~
Mom