Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tough Guy

Andrew got home from school yesterday and walked in to the dining room where I was and he started sobbing as soon as he saw me. I immediately noticed that he had a large bandaid on his elbow and tried to calm him enough to tell me what had happened. It finally came out that he was out at recess right before school got out and he went for a ball and so did a 5th grader and the 5th grader beat him to it, but not with out Andrew bouncing off of him onto the blacktop! He then turned around and lifted his shirt to reveal 2 additional major scrapes and then said he also hit his head and had a big bump. I was immediately upset that the nurse did not call me to come get him with all of these injuries and then he informed me that he only told the nurse about the elbow. He said, "mom, I was trying to be so tough. I was trying so hard not to cry, but it hurt so bad! I was trying to be tough like Zach when he got hit in the cheek with the baseball. But it hurt so bad!" Bless his little heart. I had to try so hard not to cry as he was telling me all this! I told him how tough he was to walk all the way home with all his owies and we got him all hooked up on the couch with numbing spray and icepack and pillows and a favorite movie. After he was all settled and comfy, he asked me if I could take a picture of his back so he could see what it looked like...I did and he told me that I should put that on my blog! =) Thus this post!! =)

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that poor little man! I can totally see him doing that! He is a tough one...but sweet to know that he felt safe to let it all out with his understanding mom!!!
Love you~
Mom

The Lawver's said...

OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried!!!! My kids will be homeschooled. I dont care if I dont even know the 50 states (or are there 51?). Before I had read that he had not told the nurse I was LIVID that she did not call. What a TOUGH BOY!!!! I am so proud of him. And was it an accident or is this a bully I need to send Ted to deal with??!?!?

Love you and HIM!

Anonymous said...

I just cried too! what a cutie!
Lo

Andrea Whitbord said...

Oh Kori! Tell Andrew he is a brave guy and so tough. I remember that defining moment with Chandler. This is such a huge step to becoming more like men everyday. That was one "tough guy" experience in a sea of many to come. Bless his little heart!
Kisses,
Andrea Whitbord