Thursday, October 18, 2007

Deceptively Delicious

Last week on Oprah, Jessica Seinfeld, wife of Jerry Seinfeld, was on promoting her new cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. This is her method of getting her kids to eat veggies. Since we are not veggie eaters in our house, and being guilt ridden from this as I am the meal preparer, I thought I would give this a try. So I went out that evening and bought the cookbook and today started the process. Each of the recipes in the cookbook include a vegetable puree. So today I steamed or roasted veggies and here is a photo journal of the experience...
The Cast of Characters (stolen from Pioneer Woman Cooks)
Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli
The butternut squash and the sweet potatoes got roasted
for an hour at 400 degrees
The rest were steamed for 6-12 minutes (all instructions for the specific veggies are in the the cookbook)
Then everything gets pureed in the food processor for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy!! Gotta love the colors!
Then you divide your purees into 1/2cup servings and put them into storage baggies. I put a sandwich sized Ziploc bag over a juice glass which worked very well.

And here is the final results...32 bags with 1/2 cup servings of veggies. I also decided to add spinach and carrots to the cast of characters
The worst part....thank God for dishwashers!!
I have 10 of the recipes from the cook book on the menu for the next few weeks so my plan is to let you all know what I made and what the family thought of it! On tonight's menu....Pasta with Bolognese Sauce!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My kids did not fall for the broccoli coated chicken nuggets tonight!