Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sweet Emily Aileen



These are a few pics of Emily from last night. She needed a bath after a huge blowout, but was so happy when Brian was holding her I had to take a few shots to see if I could catch her smile. I was so thrilled to catch these two huge smiles~ I am reading a book that is a first time mom's journal of her son's first year. She compares her son's early smiles to those of a drunken old man...couldn't help thinking of that when looking at these shots of Em! She loves her bath, even though it doesn't really look like it in the tubby picture. She is also getting so strong. Holding her head up for long periods of time! Can't believe she is already 2 months old! Time flies when you are having fun! Emily is actually a little sick right now. She woke up yesterday with a barky cough and sounded horrible when she was breathing. I took her to see her pediatrician and he started her on steriods. Andrew started with his coughing around 2 months as well, so I am praying this is just an isolated occurance and not the beginning of respiratory issues like we have had with Andrew. I love that she looks like Andrew, but would like them to be different in this area! I also am afraid she is "weaning" herself from breastfeeding. It breaks my heart and I am fighting her for now and plan to as long as I can. I have had to suppliment her with formula since she was 3 weeks old because she was not gaining any weight. I also went on medication at that point to try to increase my milk supply, and it has worked, but not enough to keep her satisfied, so she has been taking about 8 oz of formula a day. The crazy thing is that because of this medication, breastfeeding has actually been more expensive than formula feeding!! But I think because she is old enough to realize that the milk flows faster from the bottle, she pulls away and cries after just a few minutes of nursing. It is such a psycological battle for me. I know logically it is not that big of a deal to not be able to breastfeed, but there is an element of feeling like a failure, not being able to provided this most natural provision for my child! So we will see what the next days bring. Brian and I have decided that we will not order the medication for next month, so we will see what happens! Your prayers for either more milk or less anxiety on my part would be appreciated!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kori,

My folks just came up and brought the Christmas letter from your folks. I'm so excited that you and Heidi have blogs! It's fun to see a little of what's gone on with you guys (and so fun to see the picture from the wedding of you guys all together!) and can't believe you were so close to us out here in La Jolla and we didn't know it!

I think back to our many trips out to Arizona and fun times hanging out with your family, and even seeing you guys once you'd moved out to IL. When I was back in Wheaton earlier this year I almost tried to track down your parents to see how many of you guys were still in the Chicagoland-ish area. Next time!

Anyway, this blog is from one of my college roommates and closest friends from college, Catherine. Reading your story with breastfeeding Emily made me think of her blog. She went through some similar struggles and had two long entries about it that I thought I'd pass along. This is the link to her blog...but in the current post (Jan 15th), she's got the story actually linked there again, called Weaning (parts 1 and 2).
http://catherinemcniel.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I'm only as far back as October in your blog so far, but I'm still reading! I don't know if you have your blog set to get notification if you get comments, and since this is so many months ago that I'm posting the entry I'm going to put a note in the most recent entry letting you know it's back here!

Do you have an "email me" link? I'd love to send you an email with more (and my blog link)...just figured I won't post my whole life here for everyone else who comes along! Ha!

Lisa P (Jim and June's daughter)